Tuesday, June 2, 2009

GOOD STORY!


As I cross my last "t's" and dot my last "i's", I look up and see Fidel's dark visage. I wave him inside. "Are you finished?" "It looks that way," I answer. "How did it go?" "It'll work. And you?" "Done. The street vendors will sell out tomorrow. They're running 10,000 extra. As you like to say about sex, the people of Matamoros won't be able to get enough of Marisol's death. What are you going to do?" "I need to get back. I have a tennis game, but I want to stop at the plaza and munch on an ear of corn. I need to chill out before the day picks up again." "I'll see you tomorrow?" "What time is the funeral?" "At eleven." "I'll tag along on this one." "You're a brave man, Tommy Tamaulipas." "I like those hanging curveballs. I can't get around on the fastballs anymore." I e-mail the story and photos. Ten minutes later the phone rings. Rios greets me in his high voice. "Good story, Mr. Tamaulipas. But we can't use the pictures you suggested. Too graphic." I had sent all the photos, knowing full-well that the newspaper would never use the pictures of Marisol's corpse, but it would distract the front desk from fooling with my article but provide them with the pleasure of giving me a thumbs-down on my tasteless recommendation. "We're using the photo of the attendants taking her away and the picture of her father. Is that his name in the story?" "I believe in embellishing, but why would I change his name?" "Want to be sure. Is there going to be a follow-up?" "I'll be at the funeral tomorrow." "Changing the subject. Can you suggest a good restaurant? I want to take my wife to some place besides Garcia's." "There're all kinds of places if you're willing to venture more than two blocks south of the bridge. Take her to the Louisiana Bar." "She wouldn't be comfortable in a bar." "That's the name. It's a top-notch restaurant. The menu ranges from shrimp to steaks, froglegs to chili rellenos. You'll like it better than my story." "I won't get lost, will I?" "You won't get lost and if you do, you'll have a better time. Cross the downtown bridge and stay on the main drag. The street will curve to the left. You'll go a half mile and it will curve back to the right. Más o menos two blocks later you'll see the crossing at the railroad tracks on the right. Keep going straight for one block before turning left on Eighth St. You going to go about eight blocks when you'll see a ten-story hotel on your right. That's Hidalgo St. You turn right and as you pass the hotel you'll spot a parkinglot on your right. Park there. The restaurant is on the other side of the parkinglot." "I'm lost." "You've been to the old market, right?" "Yes." "The restaurant is a block from the old market. Park and ask for directions from there. Everyone knows the Lousiana Bar." "Are you sure my wife will like it?" "She'll love it and she'll think you're an adventurous guy. I've got to go. I'll see you in less than an hour."

No comments: